Sunday, December 16, 2012

To the Max

Hi Everyone! I've had a card ready to post for the past few days, but after the Newtown tragedy, I decided to hold off. Some of you regular readers may know I have a 6-year-old, and reading about what happened is  hard to grasp. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.

I decided to go ahead and post my card for the Moxie Fab World Keen on Neon challenge:



It's a neon hybrid card. I found out I couldn't make true neon with my computer and printer, but I got pretty close. It took about half a dozen test prints to figure out the colors.

I wanted to use 1980s patterns to match with the neon colors. Using three different Just Jaimee's digital brushes, I stamped the half-tone, paint splash, and splatter. It makes me want to pull out my crimper and dance to the Bangles. Hee hee

I created my own retro sentiment in Photoshop and angled the words. Even the font reminded me of the computer in the 1980s movie "War Games" (why do I remember these things??).

Here's a close-up:


I finished the card off with some Heidi Swapp neon washi tape.

Has anyone else tried using neon on the computer?  I'd love to hear tips! Here is what I found:

  • Neon colors look a little scary on the computer screen. The colors look different when printed. (It took me a while to figure that out!)
  • The color codes for Pantone neon colors can be found HERE.
  • I had to run several test prints. Using the Pantone codes, I had to lighten all three colors.
If you get a chance, link up to the Moxie Fab World challenge. :)

Thanks so much for looking!

Supplies
Cardstock base: (white) PTI
Other paper: (Premium Matte Photo Paper) Office Max
Digital brushes: (Halftone Brushes 2), (Keepin It Real Brushes 3), and (Just Speckled) from Just Jaimee
Washi: (Neon washi tape) Heidi Swapp

18 comments:

  1. this has GOT to be a winner, or else i dont know what is!
    -Rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwwwwwwwwww!! this is AMAZING!! I love love love that misting and LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE the sentiment!! You totally fer sure rocked this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Like, totally* fantastic Jocelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun! Love the stripes and the splatter patterns. Sending hugs to you too... xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this is totally awesome... or should i say totally rad. hehe.. Love all the neon colors..

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK. like, totally awesome. nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jocelyn! Thanks for linking this up to the Keen on Neon Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous, Jocelyn! I'm really diggin' your 80s take on neon. Thanks for the great tips on doing hybrid neon. Half a dozen test prints? Yikes!! I'm thinking of you today. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow this card is incredible! Love the splashes of neon! your work with Photoshop is amazing!! I also like how you placed the washi tape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This card just makes me happy! Like, totally. ;o) Perfect pops of neon - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is, like, so rad! No, seriously, I totally love it! Haha. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like this is so not grody (sp?) to the max! For sure. Love your card, Jocelyn! Here's an 80's story for you ... yesterday I took my friend shopping for her first pair of nice jeans at Buckle. The (young) saleslady who was fitting her demonstrated a neat way she saw on Pinterest to fold your boot cut jeans when wearing boots. My friend and I looked at each other instantly ... that's exactly how we used to do it when wearing leg warmers in the 80s! What's old is new : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks most neon to me! Love the half-tone and the angled washi. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brillant!! Ha Ha! Cute card and nice portfolio.
    May you be abundantly blessed in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog. I'll be following you from now on. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!

Blog Design by Caked Designs