Monday, June 4, 2012

Gallery Idol Round 2

I'm so excited to share my card with you for the Paper Crafts Magazine's Gallery Idol Round 2! My Top 20 card can be found here.

I was so excited when I found out on Friday...I don't think I got a minute of work done all day (don't tell my boss!). All I could think of was the Round 2 theme--you color my world. I was spinning--too many ideas...color blocking, die cutting paper, stamping a pattern. But, I went with my first idea and didn't look back. Here's what I came up with:


You Make My World That Much Brighter



It was quite the process! I started with one of Splendid Fiin's digital masks for the birds. I had never tried stamping through a digital mask, but after watching a few tutorials, I was able to start. Whew! Then I sat...for the next 3 hours, misting with digital brushes so I had just the right colors, rotation, layering, etc. Here's a close-up of the misting...



On Saturday, I made a full page list of possible sentiments. I wanted to make a card for my mom...I considered rainbow bird poop for one but figured she might not appreciate that. I spent some time trying out the sentiments and finally settled on this Ali Edwards' sentiment--one of my favorites! It's a perfect thank-you for my mom!

After I had the card ready to go, I decided that I wanted to do some iridescent misting to give it that "pow." So, I cut out a mask of the water and misted over it with some Tattered Angels Pearl.

For the birds, I painting the mist over the birds and water droplets with the tiniest paintbrush you've ever seen. I think it has 2 bristles on it! It was worth it; the iridescence looks so cool! Here's a close-up where you can see a little bit of the glimmer:

You Make My World That Much Brighter Close-Up

Yeah, yeah, I know. You can't really see the iridescence, but humor me...I hit all those little droplets! LOL!

I mounted the card with foam tape but realized it was crooked. I did what you're not supposed to do and yanked the panel from the base. Yes, it ripped. Yes, I was completely devastated. Ugh. The second time around went much faster...

My mom is going to love it and I love it, and the bottom line is, that's what matters! :)

There's a vote for the Top 15. If you like my card, I would be thrilled if you would vote for me! You can click on the link at the top of the sidebar to vote or go HERE, click on the image, and vote. Thank you!!

Thanks for your support, and have a great day!

57 comments:

  1. I love your card! This is so gorgeous! Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH this card is SO LOVELY!!
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous card. good luck. you have to do some tutorial later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful entry, Jocelyn! I would love a tutorial, too! Good luck with Round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make perfection look easy Jocelyn!

    So, so stoked that we get to ride this crazy ride together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmy gorgeous! I need a 2-bristle brush, too, too many times I've gone for that last little bit and 'blurp' right outside the lines. I love the sentiment, and I totally believe you when you say it's iridescent. I really do :)lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Masterful! I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jocelyn, this is completely and utterly gorgeous! You rocked the mists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous and got my vote.
    Congrats to you and best wishes in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just voted and came over to check your blog and realized the card that got you to Round 2 was also my favorite. Good Luck and hope you make it to the next round.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing!!! I said wow outloud when I saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such great movement to this card! Amazing colors and great sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful! I really wish I could see the shimmer...but even without, this card is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous! I love reading how you did it! :> And nice to know it's not just me who mounts crooked sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome card...I cringed when I read that the panel ripped...oh girl...you are a trooper...it truly is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jocelyn, this is gorgeous! Even if you weren't so generally awesome and fun, I still would've voted for it ;)
    Good luck -- not that you need it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am seriously so excited for you and I know what you mean by a flurry of ideas. :) You nailed this round! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This card is so completely breath-taking. Like, I mean it - when I saw it in the gallery, I had to catch my breath. I think I could stare at it for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!! I love it!! Just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats, Jocelyn. Both cards for the Gallery Idol are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow this card is amazing...totally love it...good luck..

    ReplyDelete
  22. While I would really like to see your version of a rainbow bird poop card, I'm glad you went with this one. It's breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ridiculous gorgeous. I was wowed and so was my husband...not an easy feat!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This so awesome!! I really love the way the birds are flying out of the water. This really caught my eye in the gallery. I love how your card fits the theme in a unique way. Very creative and cool card!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What can I say, but that this is PERFECT! You go GF!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for a description of the process for this STUNNING card! Since I am digi-card making illiterate I really don't understand it all but I still LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW!! This card was truly a labor of love. I'll bet it really helped having a special recipient in mind while making this. Your mom is going to be bowled over! And I know that the Gallery Idol voters will be, too. Break a leg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You don't even need good luck wishes, you flat out blew this challenge out of the water! Absolutely stunning design and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so gorgeous! Good luck. :)...hugs...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. So excited for you when I saw your card in the top 20!!!! Go You!!!!
    This card is beautiful! Good luck!!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  31. S happy to see you in the top 20 Jocelyn and you've come up with a stunner here!!
    Sich an uplifting design :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jocelyn I love your card! WOW! The colors are placed so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning! Seriously, stunning and an entry that certainly caught my eye ;D
    Hugs!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  34. How heartbreaking when you heard the tear ... but you're right, it's always quicker the second time! Really interesting how you used the digital masks. The results are amazing, such a great card you made, Jocelyn!! (and I was so excited to see your face on the Top 20 post!!)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jocelyn, this is stunning!!! My jaw dropped when I got to your card in the Gallery. So so beautiful and such a lovely sentiment for your mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is absolutely stunning, Jocelyn! My husband thought yours was the coolest card in the gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Jocelyn your card has the WOW factor & being a hybrid creation show how arty and deeply you feel for your Mum to create such a wonder out of digital products... Well done :):) off to vote for you now

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous design and you executed movement perfectly! So glad to hear others "mount crooked" too! I use a cricut spatula to lift my foam mounted panels off if they are crooked! Works like a charm! So glad to be in the Top 20 with you!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Good luck! Your card is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome stamping with some digital design! So nice of you to stop by my blog!Congrats and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow. You are amazing Jocelyn and so is your card! I love the idea and you have executed it beautifully. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This card is literally amazing Jocelyn. You totally deserve to breeze through this round!! Thanks so much for leaving some love on my blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Easy vote for me today...absolutely amazed by your gorgeous card! Your mama is one lucky lady. Good luck on the next round. Hugs, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  44. Stunning work. I looked at that tutorial the other day & pinned it, but I had no idea you could make digital masks look this incredible. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Absolutely amazing ... congrats on making it to the next round.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Congrats on making it to the top 15! I can't wait to see what you'll design next! BTW, I am so impressed with your digital skills. I am SOOOO clumsy in Photoshop I almost cry every time. ;). You should consider doing Photoshop video tutorials. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Just saw this pop up on your popular posts and had to come back and tell you how much I love this beauty. It will always be one of my favorite cards of yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!

Blog Design by Caked Designs